1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 large egg (free range or organic)
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1/4 tsp bicarb soda
2 cups Freedom Foods Barley + Porridge Traditional barley & oats
1 cup wholemeal flour
1/4 cup low fat milk
80g dark chocolate, chopped onto chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a food processor blend the extra virgin olive oil, maple syrup and egg.
- Add the mixed spice, vanilla bean paste, bicarb paste, 1 cup of barley & oats porridge, the flour and the milk. Process for 30 seconds or so to combine.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir through the second cup of the barley and oats and the dark chocolate chips. If the mixture is too thick add a splash more milk.
- Spoon portions of the cookie mixture onto the prepared tray and flatten slightly to form a rough cookie shape.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the tray. Once cooled the cookies will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Joanna is a nutrition science consultant to various companies, is an in demand and experienced presenter nationally and internationally.
Freedom Foods Group is a leading global health food company that has a mission of ‘Making food better’. Our mission is to make great tasting, high quality, healthy foods and beverages for Australia and overseas. This mission encompasses every aspect of the food supply chain from: Paddock with key dairy and grains contracted for growing, to milling at our Freedom Foods milling operation, to manufacture at any of our 6 state of the art operations in NSW & Victoria. Our sites focus on value added Cereal and Snacking, Plant based beverages and Dairy based beverage and nutritional products. We believe that healthy eating is a choice that people struggle with every day and our people at Freedom Foods Group share this same challenge: a need for a wider and more trusted range of healthier foods that everyone can enjoy.